Country estate "IMANTAS" was built in XVII century by baron fon Hanenfeld. Today it is being reconstructed. The property consists of two buildings and a plot of 2,4 ha. The area of the main building is 1540 m2, and the second building is 260 m2. The whole area will increase to 2400 m2 after the reconstruction. The estate is a historical heritage. There is a technical project, legally approved by local Building authority and by Inspection for Heritage Protection, that allows reconstruction of the estate into a living house, a guesthouse, a hotel, or a boarding house. At present, main complex recovery work is being finished.
Part of the premises were restored, several rooms may have left with smoothing or buffing. All basic materials are available to finish the work. Service lines were installed: 3-phase electricity, a 100 m deep water well with water supply up to 10 m3 per hour, water treatment facilities with clean water flow up to 5-8 m3 per hour, sewage system of 20 m3 the septic tanks with biological purification and filtering.
A full set of conveniences is available inside the building: electricity, toilet, shower stall, fireplaces for heating, hot water, TV installed. There is a reinforced access road for a freight transport. For more details you can view them photos in the Gallery.
A short historical reference: as any other place, IMANTAS Estate has its own story. These walls have survived more than a single historical event, and they stood still until our days, telling and reminding us of a different times and customs.
You can find the first mentioning of The IMANTAS Estate in the historical papers of XIV century. In 1226 the bishop Biskop sent his deputy-liegeman Johan Ungern-Shternberg to the area in the mouth of a river Sissegale. This privilege was granted to Ungern-Shternberg because of his marriage of the bishop`s close friend`s daughter. According to the records, this was the first vassal in these lands who had the power to collect tribute and to rule over the peasants. In 1250 Ungern-Shternberg has received a permission to build a church on the river bank, on the burial place of his wife's sister named Magdalena. The locals called this new church a "Saint Magdalena`s Church", and the whole land around got its name of Madliena region. Later, as history tells us, in 1346 Henning Ungerns has sold the estate on the Sissegale bank, along with the Shvirgalen village, to his nephew. Again there is a record of an owner change in 1438, on the November 16th in Limbazi, Hanss von Dolen announces selling his property the estate near Madliena church to Riga Catholic parish. Since then, the region gains the status of a parish ("draudze" in Latvian). Along with that there is a possibility now to sell properties here freely, not only to one`s relatives or by right of succession.
There are no mentioning of IMANTAS Estate for the next 160 years. And only in 1600-1601, when Swedish troops entered Vidzeme, the estate shows again in the chronicles. And now it is a tragic turn for this land. "There was a ferocious battle between the Swedes and the Poles, who inhabited Madliena parish at that time. The parish elders still tell the stories of a fierce fighting at the King`s bridge, by the linden-trees of the IMANTAS Estate. There, where two kings met, the bitter fighting broke out." (A.Mezaks, "The past and the present of Madliena-Mengele parish", 1938, p.25)
In 1680 the Swedish Seim decided to reduce the number of estates to improve the financial situation in the country. This applied to Vidzeme from 1682 to 1687. IMANTAS Estate remained in a private property. In the same time in the town of Madliena the reconstruction of a church takes place. It was almost completely destroyed during the years of Swedish-Pole battles. Every estate in the parish provides help, including The Madliena Large one; offers food and financial support. Due to the grave damage to the church the services could not be held there, and the local townsfolk had decided to make a temporary chapel inside IMANTAS Estate by themselves. For this purpose the previous wooden building has been rebuilt in stone. The entire left wing was built at this time. The boulders for the building were gathered all over the neighbourhood; the rocks were brought to the site and then horses lifted them up the embankment. The embankments rose up higher and higher, so did the walls. After finishing the construction the temporary church was situated in the left wind. The chapel still remained there in baron von Hanenfeld`s time.
In 1687 there was a first land and property estimation carried out. This was necessary to evaluate state taxes and requisitions from each property lot.
In 1700 The Great Northern War started, marking the most dramatic and difficult time for Madliena region. The town of Madliena was almost completely burned and pillaged. From 1708 to 1709 81% of IMANTAS Estate inhabitants were killed, and that was 187 people. By 1724 the Estate was partially destroyed.
The next records of the Estate are only dated 1779. One of the first schools opened in the building. At first, there were very few pupils, and they were studying in the left wing. By 1864 education starts playing more significant role in peoples` life, and they start learning writing and reading much more willingly. The number of pupils grows. At this time the German baron von Hanenfeld was the owner of the Estate. 1834 is the crucial point of IMANTAS Estate history, because at this time, with the patronage and help of Vidzeme Brotherhood Parish, the Estate changes owner by force. And this exactly is the point when von Hanenfeld`s name appears in the books. Since baron lived permanently in his another estate in Suntazi, he was not involved much in keeping the IMANTAS Estate. He was not supporting a school, and yet was not closing it. Parish members and local country folk maintained the building. In 1860 the number of pupils has increased so much, so parishioners by themselves had made a large reconstruction of the central part of the Estate for the needs of the school; a wooden building was rebuilt into a stone one. Thus, the school moved into a new main two-storey building. However, von Hanenfeld would not allow to build a new sports hall in 1900. The managers of the Estate changed frequently, and mow we can see that even in the times of the German baron ownership, the local townsfolk made the most contribution to the preservation and development of this place.
In the 60-ies of the 19th century serfdom at last was cancelled in Madliena. Villagers in mass numbers were receiving passports, that indicated the freedom of migration. New laws of the region appeared, a rent instead of taxes and requisitions. The first documentary confirmation of the registering IMANTAS Estate in the land registry dates 1860. The name of the owner is shown as baron fon Hanenfeld.
The Madliena school existed in the Estate until 1905. In that year, punitive troops entered Suntazi, marking another dark streak of history. The Suntazi palace was burned entirely, and baron von Hanenfeld has fled to Germany, not for long though. Soon he returned to rule his parish again, but in 1918, by the decision of a local senate, baron has lost almost all of his privileges. There was a reason the land he ruled appeared the most poor, and the numbers of disaffected villagers leaving their homeland were huge for that times.
After 1905, IMANTAS Estate was partially burned and pillaged. Approximately in 1920 a new owner appears. A.Lielmanis buys the property from baron fon Hanenfeld for a tremendous at that time sum of 1000 Lats. The new owner had the building fixed up completely, restored it after the fires and devastation. Happy times come to the Estate. Lielmanis was one of the first and principal wine merchants in Latvia. That is why he had paid a large attention to the cellars while restoring and refurbishing the building. Even now IMANTAS Estate has the authentic wine cellars that remained intact up to the present times. In 2009 most of these cellars were refurbished by a new owner.
The time for changes and new challenges came with the Second World War. In 1941 A.Lielmanis and his family had to flee from the Estate to Canada, leaving all the property in the house. The local long-livers say, he was hiding his wife`s jewelry and gold somewhere around the house, and the tableware along with the other valuables were drowned in the pond. Though, current reconstruction works were held both inside the building and outside, but nothing has been found. During the years of the war, the Estate falls into decay and ruins again. However, as there were no bombing or military operations of any kind in the territory , the Estate has maintained its historical structure. Only after a while, in 1950, the Soviet authorities had the Estate restored, for there were no any other large buildings around suitable for a school. At this time premises for 300 pupils were required. Electricity, water supply, a sewer system, and even a fire-extinguishing system were installed in the building. The right wing was rebuilt in stone and brick. The Estate gained a large number of new windows, supplying the daylight to the new classrooms. The existing pond has been cleaned so well that competitions in swimming were held there. In 1981 a large new school was built in the town, and all classes were relocated to it. But the building of the Estate has served as a living house for the teachers and their families for another 11 years.
In 1991 Latvian government announces denationalization, and in 1995 the Estate property was returned to its legal heiress a granddaughter of the merchant Lielmanis. For several years the property has been abandoned, it gradually was ruined and looted. The territory was greatly overgrown, and even driving near it you could miss this massive grand building. And so, in 2005 the Estate meets a new owner again, a businessman from Riga, who decides to give it a new life and starts a large-scale reconstruction. You can check the list of the works done in the Reconstruction part.
Madliena is a small town in Ogre area with beautiful hilly surroundings. Madliena, [1900-ies]
Madliena district. The road from the IMANTAS Estate to Madliena, 
Madliena. The IMANTAS Estate, [1930-ies]
Madliena. The IMANTAS Estate, 
Madliena. The IMANTAS Estate, 
A full technical examination of the building constructions was made, evaluating the efficiency and the recovery technologies required. The certified commission of 3 experts was invited, all of them having over 30 years of similar research experience. The entire range of engineering and technical measurings, building structure tests, and estimating the condition of materials were made. All these expertise documents are fully available.
There is a complete preliminary and technical project of the building, with the carefully considered flexible possibilities to change it for different functions. This includes either exclusive private house or a guesthouse, a hotel, a medical resort or a boarding house. The Estate is a historical building protected by the state, it has a special marking on the map of Latvia. All stages of the project have the necessary allowances, permissions and visas from the corresponding local authorities.
The entire park area around the house (2.5 ha) has been cleared. The State Forest Service inspected the trees and made a sanitary felling. The park has many valuable trees aged more than 200 years. There are state-protected oak-trees registered in special lists as a national treasure, several kind of walnut trees, Canadian maples, etc. After the sanitary clearing roots have been grubbed out, making the Estate territory available for a landscape design without any large preparatory earth works.
A new electrical supply cable is connected to the building. The power supply available is 32A, three-phase, the increase is possible. An entrance distribution switchboard is mounted, ground cables for the main and the second buildings are laid. The switchboards for the entire building are designed and placed, considering equal modular power distribution. The three-phase points for construction equipment are available. Electric wiring, sockets, switches, and lighting are installed in the left side of the building.
The historical 100 m deep groundwater well is restored for the water supply. Brand new equipment has been installed and enabled. There is an economy three-phase pump with the water flow-rate up to 10 m3 per hour, elevating it up to 150 m, considering branched pipeline system capable of leading up to 300 m distance. Insulated water supply pipes are laid underground to both buildings. There is also a hydrophore system for 200 l and an expansion tank for 300 l of purified water. Water quality tests of the well water were made repeatedly; the water is absolutely ecologically pure, with no admixtures. There is a slight touch of calcium and iron, that is considered to be common in the Baltic area. There are no any factories or industrial works in 30 km radius around it. This area has not been affected by any industry, and Madliena region several times has received recognition for being the most well-groomed and ecologically clean area in Latvia. For the ultimate ideal water purification there has been installed a highly effective (up to 6 m3 per hour), double-circuit (with continuous water purification), and a multistep (aerator, 2 iron filters, 2 electronically controlled water hardness filters) water purification system. The system has been designed to be fully functional even during any failures or breakdowns at any part of the water purification equipment.
The original historical sewage system of pits and septic tanks has been restored. The building is surrounded by underground system of cesspits collecting wastewaters to the natural biological treatment system. There are three stages of septic treatment, insulated and aerated tanks sized approximately 20 m3, drain fields with the absorption capacity of more than 80 m3. Such a system operates even with large number of inhabitants (up to 300 people), it is also capable for a spa center functioning, with all saunas, a pool and hot tubs. The building has a branched pipe system been installed.
The basement of the building is fully restored, fortified and has triple insulation. During the works, the basement perimeter was exposed by small sections in staggered rows, 3-4 m wide and to the original depth, to avoid any deformation. After that, the old mortar was removed out of masonry from 50-60 cm depth, and a new mortar filled in and rammed with smaller stones. At the same time, the basement expanded broadwise as a trapezium. Ancient technologies, using lime and liquid glass, were applied; this will greatly fortify the masonry with time and increase waterproofing of the basement significantly. When dried, the mortar was smoothed, grouted, impregnated with bitumen resin, and the entire basement treated with bitumen resin and covered with 2 layers of ruberoid, then covered by soil and tramped. Thus, using this technology in small steps, the whole basement of the building was restored both inside and outside.
The left wing of the building is made of stone completely, and the same restoring process was applied there. 30 mm in diameter metal bracings are applied to the main boulders in the masonry all over the building. Therefore, every such a bracing straps and fortifies a maximum volume of constructions. All window openings are reinforced, adjacent masonry rocks have been drilled and fitted with reinforcement bars, this way creating a solid carcass. The upper wall perimeter has two reinforced horizontal layers; a binding one and another supporting the roof structure. All masonry joints were cleaned out of the old mortar and a new one was put in under pressure, this has been done both inside and outside the walls, by a small fragments, without disturbing the integrity; these seams were also reinforced by smaller rocks. These technologies allowed to fully retain the historical masonry, recovered the original strength of construction, and, with the reinforcement applied, they have also increased life span and durability of the whole building. Acoustic insulation and concrete smoothing were applied on ceilings. The roof construction has been replaced fully; new concrete roof tiling installed ļæ½ the genuine historical and durable roof material with the life expectancy over 100 years. The ecologically clean ecowool has been applied for thermal insulation. This part of the building has electrical wiring, multiple-glass pane windows in wooden frames, it has been plastered. There are fully ready for living rooms here ļæ½ a bedroom, a kitchen, a toilet, and a shower.
The left and the right parts of the building have reinforced concrete floors. Entire house has concrete finishing on the floors, with the water-heating system installed. The reinforced concrete floors were made the seat of repeatedly tramped broken rocks and bricks, this will provide not only longevity and durability, but also good sound and thermal protection. The ancient technologies were also used for restoring arches. While restoring the object, 99% of all works were made by hand, to preserve maximum of the historical structure, on the other hand that allowed to use modern building technologies to increase the durability.
The masonry of the bearing walls and partitions has been restored all over the building. All window and door openings are adjusted to similar dimensions, their heights and positions aligned relatively on the facades. All over the building, the windows of the each floor are aligned to be on the same height, they have reinforced concrete lintels solidly integrated into the bearing structure. Standard windows were ordered for the whole building to ease the restoration, and to make sure the building has a finished interior, made in one style. There are only 7-8 standard sizes of windows; altogether there are 140 windows and 60 rooms in the building. Doors are restored similarly. For the present moment windows have been installed in the left part of the Estate and in all cellars. The lowest windows have a special anti-burglary system with triple-glass panes covered with reinforcing coating film. It is impossible to break such a window to get in. Wooden windows have historically stylized design with smaller inside frames and symmetrical throwing construction.
The main building perimeter has reinforced concrete tightening band that is fastened to the masonry at each 10 cm. It also has been fixed to all inner constructions. Almost all 12.5 and 8.5 m long ceiling beams have been replaced between first and second floors; these are supporting the upper wooden construction of the building. The beams are made of whole piece of wood; to exclude deformations they where dried for more than a year. Further construction works are considered mainly fitting, and they can be finished rather quickly. The remaining capacity of roof tiles have been delivered and stored near the house. The remaining roof structure has been cleaned and ready for installation. Practically, the investments are necessary only for roofing works, the remaining inside works can be carried on at any time of the year. The masonry of the entire building has been restored, the old plaster removed. It is possible to continue electrical installation, plastering and interior finishing. For different stages of works there are some building materials available at site.
In the left part of the building the general construction works have been already finished. There are electrical installation, lighting, working sewage system, cold and hot water supply, toilet equipment, massage shower stall, and a fully finished and decorated living room. There is a marble fireplace in the room, and a designer elements painted by hand to remind palace style. Designer finishing materials have been already bought for the entire left wing.
All the necessary furniture and household appliances are available for the comfortable living of several people in the house. Digital television with 60 channels is provided. That means, there is no need to organize space for staff and security personnel during any works, or the house can be used for living immediately if required.
For the future realization of the project we can provide all our technical and consulting staff engaged in this project and who is familiar with all set of technical and communication knowledge about this estate. For foreign clients we can organize an acquisition of residence permit as well as manage receiving any necessary permits for the building process. We also provide services of registration and creation of any business companies, receiving any kind of business licenses to work in our country, as well as full range of legal and accounting support, tax consulting and optimizing, organizing of tenders and purchases at any level. The property owner is ready to provide help in consulting or ideas for the project future accomplishment.
The Estate of "IMANTAS" is located in Ogre district (Vidzeme area), 2 km away from the region center Madliena town
only 60 km away from Riga the capital of Latvia
only 73 km away from the Balstic Sea shore
only 77 km away from Riga International Airport RIX
new highway is being built to Riga not far from Madliena; the trip to The Large Estate will take only some 40 minutes.
created withFree WYSIWYG HTML Editor .